[The Classic Christian Network] TUESDAY is NEWSDAY: "World MAG"

Posted: April 12, 2011 in Uncategorized

The Last Generation Network News Report

“Your Digital News Flash”

“Tuesday is News Day”

 

News From World Mag

Mubarak hospitalized in Red Sea resort

Written by EDITORIAL STAFF

412mubarakFormer Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak was abruptly hospitalized Tuesday at a Red Sea resort on the day he was set to be summoned for questioning by prosecutors over corruption allegations and abuse of power, Egyptian officials said.

Egypt’s prosecutor general had issued a summons for the 82-year-old president Monday to be interrogated over corruption allegations from his three decade reign and violence against protesters during the 18-day uprising that forced him out of office.

Dozens of demonstrators picketed the hospital in the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh, denouncing the president and scuffling with supporters of Mubarak amid a massive security presence.

Two Egyptian security officials said Mubarak arrived under heavy police protection to the main hospital. Two doctors in the hospital said he stepped out of his armored Mercedes, surrounded by security, and was admitted to the presidential suite in the pyramid-shaped building.

Mubarak was forced to step down and hand over to the military on Feb. 11 after unprecedented mass protests demanded his departure.

Mubarak has been suffering for a number of ailments and underwent gallbladder surgery in Germany in March last year.

He has kept a low profile since he was ousted, living on his compound in Sharm el-Sheikh. He was banned from traveling and his assets have been frozen. Many of his senior aides have already either been questioned or detained pending investigations.

On Sunday, Mubarak defended himself in a prerecorded message saying he had not abused his authority, and investigators were welcome to check over his assets.

It was his first address to the people in the two months since he stepped down. Shortly after, the prosecutor general issued a summons for Mubarak to appear for questioning.

Mubarak’s two sons are also due to appear before investigators and reportedly accompanied their father to the hospital.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

France and Britain: NATO action ‘not enough’ in Libya

Written by EDITORIAL STAFF

412NATOFrance and Britain urged their NATO allies on Tuesday to do more to pressure Libyan strongman Muammar Qaddafi, with Paris chiding Germany for a lackluster effort and lamenting the limited U.S. military role.

A top NATO general retorted that the alliance was “doing a great job.”

French Foreign Minister Alain Juppe said NATO’s actions were “not enough” to ease the pressure on Libya’s rebel-held city of Misrata, which has been subjected to weeks of bombardment by forces loyal to Qaddafi.

Juppe said NATO must do more to take out the heavy weaponry that Qaddafi’s forces are using to target civilians.

Britain’s Foreign Secretary William Hague agreed that the allies must “intensify” their efforts, but in a more diplomatic tone.

French Defense Minister Gerard Longuet deplored that France and Britain carried “the brunt of the burden.” He complained that the reduced U.S. role—American forces are now in support, not combat roles in the airstrike campaign—has made it impossible “to loosen the noose around Misrata.”

Longuet also criticized Germany, which is not taking part in the military operation, and said Berlin’s commitment to back the humanitarian effort for Libyans was “a second chance” at best.

NATO Brig. Gen. Mark Van Uhm sharply rejected French criticism of the operation in Libya, saying the North Atlantic military alliance is performing well and protecting civilians effectively. He said the alliance was successfully enforcing an arms embargo against Libya, patrolling a no-fly zone and protecting civilians there.

When it came to providing humanitarian aid to beleaguered Misrata, Britain, France, and Italy all said some aid was getting through without special military protection.

The 27-nation European Union said over the weekend it was ready to launch a humanitarian mission in Misrata soon, with possible military support, if it received a request from the UN.

Meanwhile, Libya’s former foreign minister, Moussa Koussa, was traveling to Doha, Qatar, to share his insight on the workings of Qaddafi’s inner circle, British offcials said.

British officials said they hope Koussa’s trip to Doha, where Arab and Western leaders are meeting to chart the way forward in Libya, will give participants a better idea of how to force Qaddafi out of office.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Ivory Coast leader: All fighters must disarm

Written by EDITORIAL STAFF

412gbagboSporadic gunfire rang out Tuesday after Ivory Coast President Alassane Ouattara called on all fighters to put down their arms now that the country’s longtime strongman has been captured following a months-long deadly power struggle.

More than 1 million civilians fled their homes and untold numbers were killed in the more than four-month power struggle between the two rivals. The standoff threatened to re-ignite a civil war in the world’s largest cocoa producer, once divided in two nearly a decade ago.

Armed fighters still prowled the streets of Abidjan even after their leader Laurent Gbagbo was arrested by forces backing Ouattara. Residents said that most of the combat had ceased, though sporadic gunfire continued Tuesday.

Gbagbo’s security forces have been accused of using mortars and machine guns to mow down opponents during the standoff. Gbagbo could be forced to answer for his soldiers’ crimes, but an international trial threatens to stoke the divisions that Ouattara will now have to heal as president.

Ouattara cut short speculation that Gbagbo would be delivered to the International Criminal Court at The Hague, calling for an Ivorian investigation into the former president, his wife, and their entourage. Ouattara also called on his supporters to refrain from retaliatory violence and said he intended to establish a truth and reconciliation commission.

France said Tuesday it would scale back its military force in Ivory Coast and give $580 million in aid to restore public services and boost the country’s economy.

In Geneva, UN human rights office spokeswoman Ravina Shamdasani said the office had learned that an unspecified number of Gbagbo’s forces had been arrested.

Gbagbo, who ruled the former French colony for a decade, was pulled from his burning residence by Ouattara’s troops Monday following fighting earlier in the day. The pro-Ouattara forces had received support by French tanks and helicopters.

Gbagbo’s dramatic arrest came after days of heavy fighting in which French and UN helicopters fired rockets at arms depots around the city and targets within the presidential compound.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Budget plan details show few real cuts

Written by EDITORIAL STAFF

412budgetDetails of last week’s agreement to avoid a government shutdown and cut federal spending by $38 billion were released Tuesday morning. They reveal that the budget cuts, while historic, were significantly eased by pruning money left over from previous years, using accounting sleight of hand, and going after programs President Barack Obama had targeted anyway.

Such moves permitted Obama to save Pell grants for low-income college students, health research, and “Race to the Top” aid for public schools, among others.

The full details of Friday’s agreement were released early Tuesday morning. They include a lot of one-time savings and cuts that officially “score” as cuts to pay for spending elsewhere, but often have little to no actual impact on the deficit.

Conservatives like Rep. Tim Huelskamp, R-Kan., believe the cuts “barely make a dent” in the country’s budget woes.

He was also upset that most of the conservative policies added by Republicans were dropped from the legislation in the course of the talks.

The White House rejected GOP attempts to block the Environmental Protection Agency’s ability to issue global warming rules and other reversals of environmental regulations. Obama also forced Republicans to drop an effort to cut off Planned Parenthood from federal funding, as well as GOP moves to stop implementation of Obama’s overhauls of healthcare and Wall Street regulation.

The cuts that actually will make it into law are far tamer, including cuts to earmarks, unspent census money, leftover federal construction funding, and $2.5 billion from the most recent renewal of highway programs that can’t be spent because of restrictions set by other legislation. Another $3.5 billion comes from unused spending authority from a program providing healthcare to children of lower-income families.

Still, Obama and his Democratic allies accepted $600 million in cuts to a community health centers programs, $414 million in cuts to grants for state and local police departments, and a $1.6 billion reduction in the EPA budget.

Ohio Rep. Jim Jordan, chairman of the Republican Study Committee, said he will vote against the deal, along with Rep. Mike Pence, R-Ind. and Michele Bachmann, R-Minn.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Japan upgrades nuclear crisis severity to match Chernobyl

Written by EDITORIAL STAFF

412japanJapan raised the crisis level at its crippled nuclear plant Tuesday to a severity on par with the 1986 Chernobyl disaster, citing high overall radiation leaks that have contaminated the air, tap water, vegetables, and seawater.

Japanese nuclear regulators said they raised the rating from 5 to 7—the highest level on an international scale of nuclear accidents overseen by the International Atomic Energy Agency—after new assessments of radiation leaks from the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant since it was disabled by the March 11 tsunami.

The new ranking signifies a “major accident” that includes widespread effects on the environment and health, according to the Vienna-based IAEA. But Japanese officials played down any health effects and stressed that the harm caused by Chernobyl still far outweighs that caused by the Fukushima plant.

The revision came a day after the government added five communities to a list of places people should leave to avoid long-term radiation exposure. A 12-mile radius already had been cleared around the plant.

Japanese officials said the leaks from the Fukushima plant so far amount to a tenth of the radiation emitted in the Chernobyl disaster, but said they eventually could exceed Chernobyl’s emissions if the crisis continues.

Hironobu Unesaki, a nuclear physicist at Kyoto University Research Reactor Institute, said the revision was not a cause for worry, that it had to do with the overall release of radiation and was not directly linked to health dangers. He said most of the radiation was released early in the crisis and that the reactors still have mostly intact containment vessels surrounding their nuclear cores.

Continued aftershocks following the 9.0-magnitude quake on March 11 are impeding work on stabilizing the Fukushima plant—the latest a 6.3-magnitude one Tuesday that prompted plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Co., or TEPCO, to temporarily pull back workers.

Officials from Japan’s Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency said that the cumulative amount of radioactive particles released into the atmosphere since the incident had reached levels that apply to a Level 7 incident. Other factors included damage to the plant’s buildings and accumulated radiation levels for its workers.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Whirled Views 04.12

Written by ANGELA LU

Good morning!

Random question of the day: With what products do you think generic brand is just as good as name brand?

This is our daily (except for Sundays) open thread, where you can 1) answer my question, 2) talk about something else, or 3) say something truly encouraging to the commenter before you.

Blast in Belarus subway kills 11 people

Written by EDITORIAL STAFF

411belarusAn explosion tore through a key subway station in the Belarusian capital of Minsk during evening rush hour Monday killing 11 people and wounding 126. Deputy prosecutor-general Andrei Shved said the blast was a terrorist act.

President Alexander Lukashenko did not say what caused the explosion at the Oktyabrskaya subway station, but suggested outside forces could be behind it.

The authoritarian leader, under strong pressure from the West over his suppression of the opposition, has frequently alleged outside forces seek to destabilize his regime.

An Associated Press reporter at the scene saw heavily wounded people being carried out of the station, including one person with missing legs.

Several witnesses said that the explosion hit just as passengers were stepping off a train about 6 p.m. The Oktyabrskaya station, where Minsk’s two subway lines intersect, was crowded with passengers at the end of the work day.

The station is within 100 yards of the presidential administration building and the Palac

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: